Here is a list of the top 7 reasons of why you should have a will:
1. Don’t let the government be in charge of your money and assets. Pick an executor and make sure you tell family where your will is.
2. Make your wishes known. How are you dividing your assets? Is there something special for a certain someone? Don’t let your loved ones fight over silly material things. Make it known and write it down.
3. It is not a lot of money to have a lawyer draft a will. Make sure it is done right.
4. If you have children you need to discuss the issue of guardianship. Who do you want looking after your children?
5. Do you want cremation or burial? When family is grieving your passing they shouldn’t have to fight over what they think you would have wanted.
6. Have you thought of a health care directive? What are your wishes for prolonging your life? Have you signed your organ donor card?
Life is uncertain. Death is a guarantee. Timing is anyones guess. Don’t wait. Most real estate lawyers also handle wills and personal directives. Make that a conversation when you are seeing your lawyer and signing the mortgage documents for purchasing your home.